I heard this poem the other day for the first time in a very long time - it was in a poem book that I had as a child but I haven't thought of it in years. My baby girl was born on a Tuesday. Seems to fare well for her as far as the childhood rhyme goes:
Monday's child is fair of face.
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is full of woe.
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving.
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.
It also bodes well for me and my twin as we were born on Sunday. Poor Rob though - he was born on a Wednesday. I told Rob this but he wasn't upset about his ill-fated fortune because he thinks that the person who made this up was a "Blossom" fan and that Wednesday's child was actually full of "whoa!" I have no comeback for that except to say that this poem has been around for more than 100 years, and I'm pretty sure the poet just rolled over in his grave. Really though I just smiled, rolled my eyes, and shook my head (which Rob has gotten very used to in our 5 years of marriage).
Here is a day of the week calculator if you are interested what day of the week you or your child were born: http://www.searchforancestors.com/utility/dayofweek.html
3 comments:
I was a Thursday's Child, Chris is a Wednesday's child. But Rob's response, gives me hope for Chris is full of both woe and Whoa!
Shay was Tuesday, which is appropriate, since her middle name is Grace. Bryn was Thursday, and goodness, how true. :)
Oh I hadn't thought of that - Hannah's name actually means "grace". How appropriate!
Post a Comment