Monday, August 15, 2011

Hannah's First Day of Kindergarten, Part 2



When I left Hannah, she was sitting attentively listening to her teacher while I was watching, thinking how mature she looked. Hailey and I left and spent the few hours we had at home reading, playing togther, and napping. I forget what it's like to just have one, and it was nice to spend some one-on-one time with Hailey, like I had so many years for Hannah. It amazes me what she is picking up and learning, but that is for another post. This post is for the end of the first day of school.

Hannah said they spent the day deciding on class rules, reading, and playing on the playground. She said she was asking everyone "will you be my friend?" and they said "yes." I love that it really is that simple in kindergarten. How do you make new friends? That's right, you simply ask someone! Anyway, she knew a few kids going in - Jack (from a playground we were in when she was a baby), Jayde and Analyese (girls down the street), and Lilly (from church who also lives in the back of our neighborhood). She said she had fun.


Here is the small hiccup though in a very emotional but wonderful day: they put Hannah on the wrong bus to come home. I was standing outside at the curb as the bus pulled up. I had my camera up and ready to go, which I'm sure it what clued the bus driver to stop in the first place instead of just blowing past our house. She opened the door and I stood there, ready for the pic, when she leaned down and said "are you supposed to have a kid on this bus?" I froze and put my camera down. I said "yes, my kindergartener was supposed to be on the bus" and she said "I'm sorry I don't have anyone on this bus for you; call the school." I think I nearly had a panic attack, particularly because, according to the website, there is only one bus that comes to our neighborhood. I did take note that the bus that stopped was not the number that I wrote down on Hannah's card (the one that told helpers which bus to put the child on and had other information, like name, grade, address, phone number, and neighborhood name). I calmed myself and attempted not to be the hysterical parent calling the school. I'm not sure I succeeded but I did manage to tell them that my kindergartener wasn't on the bus. They said that the buses had just left (our stop is apparently the very first stop) and I told her the bus had come and gone. She said that there was a mix-up on the website and that many of the bus numbers, including the one I wrote down, were wrong. She did say though that there were two buses that came to our neighborhood - one for the front and one for the back - and she was probably on the other bus. Probably wasn't good enough for me so she told me to call the administration building and they could radio the driver to make sure she was on there. She was. Forty-five minutes later, the empty bus pulled up and dropped her off. The bus driver gave me the right bus number to mark on her tag and told me that she had tried to tell them that she was on the wrong bus (and had even sent her off the bus twice) but they kept sending her back. The worst part was that Hannah was SO excited to ride the bus for the first time and she came off in tears because she said she was lost. Poor baby! Otherwise though, she did get a green note (meaning "good day"). Hopefully things will go more smoothly tomorrow!


A few pictures! Hananh's real bus (the one she was not on):




The bus she was on on her first day:



Hannah getting off the school bus for the very first time:

No comments: