Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hannah's New Favorite Game

Hannah has a new favorite game (besides asking me to spell every word she can think of so she can write it). I like to think of it as "stump Mommy" because that's what she does. She chooses complex objects, ideas, or phrases and then asks me to explain them. If she were a high school or college student, many of these questions would be a little easier to explain since the true explanation often involves a basic understanding of science and/or obscure aspects of the English language. However, being that she is 4, breaking it down in terms she would understand sometimes eludes me. Still, she continues to ask and I continue to do my best to explain while she enthusiastically shakes her head and thanks me, even if some of the explanations are downright difficult to understand as I trip over my own words while attempting to carefully construct the simplest definitions I can come up with. I guess she must be getting something out of it. Or maybe she just thinks I'm funny and that's why she keeps asking...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

examples please?

Lauren said...

Yeah I'd be curious to hear some of the concepts she's been asking about!

Andrea said...

Although not the hardest thing she has asked, she asked me today what a country was. It would have been easy to explain if she had accepted my first definition of "a place where a lot of people live."

Cathy said...

We have that too. This mornings was "How to they make cereal straws?"