It seems like every time I turn around, one of the kids is hitting a new "milestone". It's amazing how much they learn and how quickly they learn. I have been slacking a bit with my Mommy duties when it comes to teaching Hannah. I wanted to begin taking an hour or so each day (okay, maybe a half hour) to have a "learning" time. We are still on the fence about 3 year old preschool but I thought regardless of whether we send her or not, it would be good to introduce her to a teaching-type environment. However, I have been so busy with my classes I'm teaching and with poor Hailey (who seems to keep having medical issues that require a lot of attention), I have let that goal fall by the wayside. I still read to her often but we rarely work on things, like recognizing letters. Of course, Hannah a smart girl and she has apparently picked it up on her own. She got some money for her birthday from her Uncle Matthew and she picked out a laptop (pink, of course) that teaches letters. On top of this, her two favorite TV shows are Super Why and Word World. Both these shows are Mommy approved - they are cute and they talk about letters and reading. From these outlets (plus lets also hope reading has helped), she has learned to recognize almost all the letters. We went through a magazine this morning and much to my surprise, she could name every letter except Q, W, M, and V. Another "big girl" thing she's been doing recently is asking to take showers by herself and requesting "privacy" in the restroom. I can't believe how old she is getting!
Hailey is also doing really well. She plays with toys now. Well, as much as a baby can, at least. Her favorite seems to be the ladybug that I bought for her carseat. It crinkles when you touch it's wings and it sings when you press it's belly. She loves to make it crinkle and has even managed to make it sing once, although I'm sure it was a complete accident. She is doing so much better with tummy time now that we are getting her neck problems resolved and can lift her head up well. She loves her bath and my favorite thing is that she smiles at everyone. She also makes funny cooing noises and the other day when Rob said "hi" to her, it sounded like she said "hi" back. It was so cute!
We just bought a new camera so once I figure out how to download the pictures onto the computer, I promise I will post some new pictures!
2 comments:
I, too, have had lofty goals of having "teaching time" with Bryn and Shay every day after naps, but it has never actually happened. You'd think that after years of creating lesson plans on literature and grammar for teenagers, I could surely figure out something to do for an hour a day with a 1 year old and a 3 year old, but I guess not. Where does the time go?!?!
I can't wait to see some new pictures!
It sounds like Hannah is doing just fine! Glad to hear Hailey is doing better, too! I hope the "medical issues" that you're referring to get better soon...
Post a Comment