Friday, October 17, 2014

Speech Therapy and ENT for Logan

This all began at Logan's 15 month appointment, when the doctor asked me if he had any words.  He had one word at his 12 month appointment, so I'm sure she was expecting me to say that he was right on track.  Instead, I told her that he lost that word, but I wasn't worried because he is really taking off with motor skills and I was sure that was it.  She agreed but wanted me to fill out a paper anyway that looks at his overall skills.  This paper asked questions such as "does he respond to his name," "does he walk," and "does he point?"  Many of these questions, I realized, we had to say "no" to.  He doesn't point or try to say words or communicate in any way or respond to his name.  Of course, now the pediatrician is concerned and I am a bit too.  I guess I didn't notice his lack of communication because he is such a sweet, happy, content baby.  She suggests we look into First Steps.  Sure, that's no big deal; we had Hailey evaluated twice - once when she was 2 months old and had torticollis/plagiocephaly from her traumatic birth and once when she was 2.5 and had articulation issues.  Since the tort/plagio issues weren't causing a delay, we were denied services but shown stretches to help.  She was obviously accepted for the speech therapy and finished that shortly after her 4th birthday.  Anyway, so we set up the evaluation and they came to check him out.  It was very clear that there was an issue, they thought with his hearing.  He literally scored a 0 in communication (and a 2 in social for smiling) because he never even looked at them, even when they were banging things together and yelling.  They felt he wasn't hearing properly, so they set us up with speech therapy and an ENT.  We requested Tina, the same speech therapist that Hailey had, and we saw the ENT.  The audiologist was terrible but they still recommended tubes, which we will do next week.  We're hoping that tubes fixes the issue and the speech therapist helps him catch up in no time!

No comments: