It is hard to believe that the summer is actually over. Probably because this year it is over so much sooner than normal. Hannah's school, besides being insanely early (a 7:45am start time means a 6:45am wake-up call, which is really early in this house), they have also switched to a "balanced" calendar. This means they have a shortened summer but get 2 weeks vacation in Oct, Dec, and March. They get out at the end of May. Since this is the first year, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but the balanced calendar thing sounds like a good idea. I'm still not on board with the early start time that they implemented two years ago, but I guess I didn't get a vote.
Hannah was very excited for 1st grade this morning. She has a brand-new horse backpack, brand new shoes (thanks Grandma and Grandpa!), and a little money pouch that came with her backpack for her lunch money. For the first time, she gets to ride a bus to and from school AND she gets to eat lunch at school. Eating lunch at school seems to be a big selling point. She is in the 1st/2nd grade combo class this year, and we got to meet her teacher last night. Ironically, it ended being Mrs. Donaugh, the substitute teacher she had at the end of last year when Mrs. Hardin went on maternity leave. The class is very large - it is actually two classrooms opened up - and Mrs. Boondt is the other teacher in there (and will be her 2nd grade teacher next year). She recognized a few kids from her class last year and really enjoyed the first day. She came home all smiles and said her new best friends were Avah and Aubrey. First grade is off to a great start!
Our camera is on the fritz so I took pictures with Paul & Marie's camera but need to download them onto their computer before sending them to myself. So, pictures to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment