Yesterday, Hannah got her first report card and today was parent-teacher conferences. Hannah's report card looked great. She got all 3s and 4s, except she got a 2 for knowing her birthday (she knows her bday but I never taught her the year) and a 1 for tying shoes (she is actually close to mastering this but the teacher just asked them and if they said "no" the teacher didn't even evaluate it and just wrote down a 1). I can't say I completely get why they are grading things they don't teach but it's not really that important, just strange to me. Anyway, the legend with the report card says 4 is perfect, 3 is very good, 2 is good, and 1 is needs improvement.
Mare was able to come over and watch the kids so I could go to the parent-teacher conference in this morning. I sat down with the teacher and discussed her report card (no concerns) and how kindergarten was going in general. She said Hannah is a model student and the most polite child she has ever met. I couldn't be more proud! She also said Hannah is doing very well in math and even better in reading. She showed me some scores and then outlined how she will help to continue to make Hannah's kindergarten experience challenging and enjoyable for her. She is going to pull out a few kids, Hannah included, to get extra reading time in the advanced books during some of computer lab. She is also giving an extra math workbook to Hannah so that when she completes her normal work, she can sit and do these extra pages if she wishes. She is also going to speed up the sight words. She said she wants to keep it challenging for the advanced students but tries to make sure she is not pushing and we should do the same. I told her that we do practice the sight words at home but not excessively (5-10 minutes tops), I try to make it fun by making it into games, and if Hannah says she's not in the mood, we skip it that night. Otherwise, the only thing we do at home is read to her. The teacher said that was on target for her recommendations.
The teacher said she is doing great and she is very pleased with her. Us too!
No comments:
Post a Comment